Saturday, March 3, 2012

Video games + V8 supercars

I've recently been playing Forza Motorsport 4, and I've found what seems to be the least drivable car of the game -- an Australian V8 Supercar (Holden Commodore, but anyway).

This leads me to wonder whether I need to be paying more attention to V8 Supercars in general. Why?

Because I've played a LOT of racing games (Pole Position, anyone?), and I've never met a car quite this uncontrollable... It requires a level of finesse, even with supporting systems (including some not actually available on the car)... Now, I realize that this isn't necessarily evidence of the ACTUAL drivability of the vehicles. Indeed, it's in my job description to know the limits of driving simulation (we call it fidelity, but anyway). Still, when a game includes NASCAR stock cars (also V8-powered beasts with little electronic support to keep them in line), and THOSE vehicles are more easily tamed than a Supercar? Even relative validity (which is supported by simulation) suggests that Aussie racers are crazy.

With apologies to Marcos Ambrose (aka the Tasmanian Devil).

And as for whether video games are actually 'simulations' (indeed, I've made the argument against that position many times) -- In this instance.... Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment